Name:
Location: Independence, Missouri

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

North Of The Border---May 20, 2008

This will quite possibly be my last correspondence from North of the Border. I left Tennessee on May 15 arriving to Des Moines about 6:oo central time (14.5 hours!)

The good news---we sold our house on May 10th! We got our asking price, but we had to make several other concessions.

The bad news---one of the concessions is that we close at the end of May! Holy cow! That just gives us a couple of weeks!

We had a disastrous trip to Kansas City yesterday in search of a place to live. We did some thorough (we thought) internet searching on the site of a property management company and found several prospects. Much to our chagrin, we found out when we got there that the company does not update their site very often and all but two were presently unavailable. Neither were a fit for us. So back to Des Moines we went. Empty handed.

Well, not quite. When I was in Tennessee, I had a little work done to our Taurus because it had developed a terrible shaking especially when the brakes were applied. We had to get new tie rods and all the tires were balanced (supposedly) as well as an alignment. Everything seemed fine since then and also when I checked the car over before returning on the 886 mile trip to Des Moines on May 15. Once on the interstate, I noticed the ride was a little rough. I didn't think too much of it and I didn't see anything wrong when I checked things over when I stopped. Well, it was worse on our trip to Kansas City yesterday. When we stopped at at rest area south of Cameron, Missouri, I could clearly see the problem. The left rear tire was beyond bald and the belts under the tread were showing! We made it to Kearney, Missouri, where we found a tire shop who were glad to sell us a couple of tires. Ouch! Definitely not part of our budget, but man what a smooth ride home! So we did come home with two brand new tires! Not quite what we had in mind, but at least we didn't have to call for a tow!

I am heading back to KC tomorrow to look at a few more houses. Cheryl and the kids are not coming along this time. Wish me luck.

I am looking forward to seeing those of you who are making the trip to Des Moines this weekend for graduation. See you then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home