Name:
Location: Independence, Missouri

Sunday, July 16, 2006

North Of The Border---July 16, 2006

Not too much to report this week.

Cheryl's folks could not come this weekend after all. Too bad.

I started in the clinic last week and I really enjoyed seeing the patients. It has been good to realize some practical application of what I have been studying. I hesitate to reveal too much about the cases due to privacy concerns but I did see a herniated disk that presented as numbness in the feet---this was subsequently referred to a neurologist. I also saw patient with a bunion who consented to surgery.

Last Wednesday was the first board exam and I can say that it was very difficult. I should know the results in about six weeks. Believe it or not, a score of only 50% is required to pass. But the questions are HARD! I think I did OK, though. I will take another board exam during the fourth year. This covers clinical material (how to diagnose, treat, perform surgery, etc.) whereas the exam I took last week covers basic sciences (anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, etc.). One has to pass both exams to graduate and obtain a license to practice medicine. After residency, I will have to be examined for board certification. The residency models have recently changed and most podiatrists will carry three board certifications: Primary Care & Orthopedics; Foot Surgery; and Reconstructive Ankle Surgery. In the past, podiatrists have not had the option to specifically certify in ankle surgery though podiatrists have been very well trained in this for quite some time. Sometimes I wonder if I will ever get finished!

Well, that's all for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home